While observing her classroom I realized that her story will soon be my story too. I will be putting long hours and a lot of work into other people's children. Children who didn’t grow up the way I did, who may not share the same world view I do, and who certainly do not have the sort of educational support I grew up with. What is it about this challenge that excites my mind and makes me think that finally I may have a job that doesn't generate boring days or lack creativity? I think it's the feeling of doing something meaningful in a world of otherwise unmeaningful work (okay, this might be an exaggeration, but sometimes that's how I feel). I think there are two jobs that, for me, would fill this description of meaning. One is teaching your own children, and the other is teaching someone else’s! I know this will require some real self-evaluation on my part, because what’s right for “my” kids might not be what’s right for someone else’s.
I have enjoyed reading Lisa Delpit’s book about cultural conflict in the classroom. She talks about the codes of power that teachers (especially white) have when it comes to contributing to the success or failure of a child within the larger community. Of course, a teacher can only do so much, but what I want to make certain is that my part of the “much” is infused with as much understanding and love as I can possibly make it. I already feel like there is so much I don’t know, but what I do know is that I want to make a difference, and I want to make it in the right way. As Delpit puts it, we should not be seeking to give another voice to a child who already has their own, but to teach them to express their voice in ways that are recognized by a larger community, a community that will provide opportunity and a greater acceptance of their potential for success.
6 comments:
You are so passionate about teaching already. I am glad that you decided to make a career change. I am sure you will touch mant lives.
Maren, as I read your blog entries, I am coming to realize how similar we are! Your posts are as if they are coming from me (except that I'm not teaching). I know exactly what you mean about having a job that makes a difference. I long for that too. Now it's just making me wish I got to know you better when we were at school together! Good luck in everything that you do! You're awesome.
And the best part about teaching . . . is free summers! I have been such a bum, I've just looked at blogs all day and I stumbled across yours. I loved reading this entry. Teaching is the greatest career. I never thought I could love my students so much. I think we love them even more because of their disadvantaged lifestyles. So are you teaching in DC? DCPS is so CRAZY right now. . . if you watch the news I'm sure you now all about it. Let me know where you are teaching.
Hey Maren...
John and I are making our blog private. If you want to look at it, send me an email (jenniferalisha@gmail.com).
Jenn
Maren, hi! It's Corie from USU... remember me? I am so happy to see you are going into teaching! You would be an amazing teacher. I'm teaching 2nd grade here in Utah (which I'm sure is nothing like what you're experiencing), but it is awesome. I'm just getting into this blogging thing. Mine is nolanandcorie.blogspot.com. I hope you're doing well!
We definitely live a sheltered life in Duchesne don't we. I think sometimes we take for granted what we had!!
Post a Comment